Saturday, September 11, 2010

Amber Brings us Joy.

"Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls."
~Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Amber continues to do a little better each day. She still has the trach, which means she can't speak yet, but she mouths a lot of things. We're getting better and better at reading lips, but praying that she remains patient with us!

On Friday, she was able to slowly lift her arm all by herself as a natural reflex to scratch an itch on her cheek. We were stunned! Natural reflexes and muscle strength are such a good sign. She also was able to lift her head off the bed slightly for a few seconds, at the nurse's request, and amazed us all with her strength and control. She continues to work with the physical therapist daily, which is certainly helping her to regain muscle control, little by little.

Although Amber cannot yet talk and still sleeps a good portion of the day, she is all "Amber" with her sweet smiles, her laughs, and her mouthed "I love yous." This is still a slow-going process and it's certainly a challenge, as you can imagine recovery is after being virtually immobile for five weeks now, but we are incredibly overjoyed with her progress and the miracle that is taking place. Our Father in Heaven has blessed her and our family beyond measure. The wonderful doctors and dedicated and loving nursing staff are so good to Amber. They love her and have been so excited to "meet" her this week. "Just wait until we bring her back, up walking and talking. You'll love her even more," we tell them.

Amber is such a strong woman, a woman of faith and dedication. We know that she is pushing herself each day to "exercise" so that she can recover and regain her strength quickly and return home to her family. Her strength and determination inspire us and bring us such joy.

18 comments:

  1. Yay Amber! Remember little things mean a lot. Such small things your doing but were sooooooo proud of you. Keep it up woman! We need you to braid all of our hair at girls camp next year ;)

    Love,
    Ann Wells

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Amber--We're so happy to hear how well you're doing. It may be slow, but it's in the right direction--complete recovery. We're so proud of your efforts. We've enjoyed having Grandma Millie here in Boise with us. She's been so worried about you and you're not far from our thoughts. She's going home at the beginning of next week and I don't think it will be long before she'll be able to come to see you herself. The blog and emails and texts have been so appreciated. Just know that you and your whole family continue to be in all of our prayers. Families are so important, what would we do without them? I don't ever want to know. We love you! A. Kathy, U. Dave and Cousins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my sweet cuz. I have been praying my guts out for you. I am so very happy to hear that you are making progress. You have been in our thoughts and prayes every day. We love you so much. You are one amazing women. You are so loved by everyone you meet. Love you bunches,
    Booboo

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOu are AmAzInG Amber!! Keep working hard, miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO aver joyed to hear this good news, it really brings happiness to my heart! Keep up the good work Amber! You really are an amazing girl. Heavenly Father has definitely provided you a miracle, he obviously loves you & your family very much!! I love ya, Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome,so happy for you Amber. Keep up the good work and you will be on your way home before you know it. What a wonderful Christmas present it will be for all of us as we learn of your progress and you being with your family during the holidays. We need to have an "Amber" ornament for thanksgiving & Christmas to remind us the value of prayer & to be thankful that they are being answered. LOL to you, JP & family, L Wahrer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amber you are a rock star! I would love to come and visit you and sing you one of my songs! You would then immediately reach for your ears and make even more progress. Just ask Emery Claire :) Forrest and I are sending really hard hugs your way along with hugs for JP. Love Nancy and Forrest

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm almost done reading "Mockingjay" and I'm sure you are anxious to read it too! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. Maren is wearing one of the dresses you got for her for my baby shower, she looks so cute in it. I love reading the updates and seeing how much you are progressing! Much love!
    Melanie Young

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amber It's nice ti hear you are doing better! We still pray for you and remember you every day. "Mano drauge" Don't forget keep strong and soon you will be with your sweet angels that are waiting at home. Even my Son Marcus when we pray he remembers you in his pray!!! Love you my dear Amber

    Kisses and hugs to you :)
    Vilma Cuba Beinartaite

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amber,
    I love you so much! I am so grateful for your continued progress! I have never fasted and prayed so hard, for Healenly Father to heal you to a full recovery. My mind could not comprehend any other end result! You are a special daughter of God, who touches so many peoples lives with your radiant love for everyyone. You and your family will be strengthened by this experience, as will the rest of us. You and your family will continue to be in our prayers! Love Paula Swenson

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet Amber-

    We are so excited to hear about your amazing progress. It has truly been amazing to see the response from the people in our ward to your situation. You have touched so many people in your short time in the ward. The love you have for your Heavenly Father is evidenced in the love you share with those around you, and they feel that love. I miss your smiling face and your beautiful spirit! I look forward seeing that beautiful face at church again!! Keep up the good work!

    Love you,
    Julee Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so happy to read about You being awake. Finally. I can not wait till you will be able to speak to us by yourself. I can't wait to hear what you want to say. Get well soon. I am very happy that you will be back to your family and your children.
    I read that you and Emery (Smitaite) love to look at clouds. When I went home to Lithuania, I was thinking about you and I made these pictures for you and Emery.
    I love You Amber. And miss You. And I am very happy. Keep it up getting better.
    Hugs and Kisses
    Inga Banelyte

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I forgot to add the link, where are the pictures of clouds, that I made for you. Ups.

    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=235906&id=555301926&l=108f580908

    Love you. Inga Banelyte

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh Amber, this morning your Dad was out with the kids riding your bike. They so enjoy that. Corbin and Kayla are all cute and ready for the day. The only mud and Kayla can find it,she had it and wiping it on her pants. Don't worry this Grandma took the towel off my hair and wiped it off her fingers before she tried eating it and wiped her pants the best I could. She is looking more and more like you every day. You have dariling kids and JP loves you so. And your family loves you so much. And we all do too. Anyway I am glad you are getting better. Now if we all can have patience with continued hope and faith in Heavenly Father and his timetable. See you soon, Nita

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amber, you are absolutely amazing!!! Everytime we read the updates on how you are doing, we are soooo excited for you and your family! You and your family have been in our prayers and we could not be happier for you and your miraculous recovery. We look forward to seeing your happy, smiling face again soon! You are sorely missed by all of the YW in our ward. We will continue to pray for your quick recovery, just know we will be there to help you and JP when you return home!! Much love, Bob and Wendy Clegg

    ReplyDelete
  16. You give me the faith and hope I need to keep going. I am ever grateful that God put you in my life. I hope to see you again soon!

    Christiane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amber- I check every day to see how you are doing, and am so happy to hear of the great progress. You have been on my mind so much, and I pray for you every single day. You are an amazing woman. Keep up the good work!
    After I read the post where they were asking for memories and stories to share with you I kept thinking back to when we were Juniors in High School and we were sitting in English class (I think)and I made you sing "Amazing Grace" out loud for the whole class to hear when the teacher left the room. I don't know if you remember that, but the memory made me smile! I was always amazed at your level of talent in everything you did. Keep it up!
    Love- Heidi Gunnell (Wells)

    ReplyDelete
  18. amber,
    so soooo happy to hear the progress you have made! that is so great! I am so glad to hear that you have been able to speak to your children. seeing them play at the park, it was evident how much they miss you!! Everyone misses you and is wishing you the best. Keep working hard! you are doing so great!! I hope we can become better aqcuainted when you return home. You are such a neat person and i hope to get to know you even better. i had so much fun talking with you at the lindon pool earlier this summer and getting to know you better. I hope we have a chance to do it again! good luck with the work and progress this week! I am still thinking of you and praying for you and your speedy recovery!!
    sincerely,

    amy nord

    ReplyDelete