Thursday, September 16, 2010

Out of the ICU!

Amber has been transferred from the ICU to Rehabilitation! This is such a huge step for her. The doctors felt she was doing so well with the recovery process, that she could skip the in-between step of acute long-term care, and go straight to rehab. What a blessing!

Watching Amber's progress is truly amazing and humbling at the same time. Though she tires very easily, her mind is quick and she’s definitely "all there." We are so grateful to Heavenly Father, that her mind has been protected through all of this. She is doing remarkably well both physically and emotionally, considering all she has been through over the last six weeks. Admittedly, this is incredibly hard for her, but it is clear that she is strong and will do what she needs to do to get through this. "I'm alive," she said gratefully, "and Heavenly Father is blessing me. I know I can do this." With that kind of resolve, coupled with the support of her family, the doctors, and all of you, she is taking giant steps forward every day!

In talking with Amber about all the people (you) who love her and are praying for her, she said, "Tell them that I love them. I can hardly wait to write on the blog, myself." Amber wants to be able to talk so badly. She mouths everything and is so patient with our weakness in lip-reading. Talking with the speaking valve in her trach is very difficult, although she works at it. The removal of the trach will come in time, as her body is able to master breathing 100% on its own. Her diaphragm and other muscles involved in breathing continue to get stronger and stronger and she is close enough that they have removed the ventilator machine (at least for periods of time) and allowed her to work at it all on her own.

Now that Amber is in the rehab stage, she is able to have visitors. She spends the daytime hours working (exercising), but is able to have visitors after 4pm. She would love to see you! So that we can ensure that she isn't overwhelmed at any given time, if you're interested in visiting with her, please call JP, Greg, or Julie to make arrangements. Also, please keep in mind that shorter visits (15-20 minutes) are best, so that we don’t exhaust our patient. Amber's workouts, combined with the continued effects of her medication, still tire her more quickly than normal, so we just want to ensure that we don't add to that.

Amber's recent (incredible!) progress includes lots of hand/arm movement, lifting both legs one at a time on her own, shifting her head back and forth (neck muscles kicking in!), taking several assisted steps in the physical therapy room, standing up and sitting down three times (with help) from her wheelchair, and much more smiling!

Truly, she is just amazing us (and her whole medical team) with her rapid progress! We're so proud of her and know that she can do it!

Once again, thank you for all your love and support. Please continue to remember her in your prayers. We love you all!

27 comments:

  1. Yay, Yay, Yay, a thousand times yay!!! I'm SO excited for you, Amber! While I would LOVE to come see your smiling face, I just had my tonsils out this morning and they say I'll be homebound for a while (which is probably for the better as I'm a bit loopy;). Danielle, Summer and Karin were telling me last night all about their trip to see you. If you're not home in a couple weeks, you better bet, I'll be joining them next time!

    Take care! Love you lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber,

    You continue to inspire me to greater heights!!! I am so amazed and proud of you! You can't imagine how many people (even those you have not yet met) that are praying for you. I have a dear friend whose name is also Amber who has been praying for you. She is truly one of the most angelic people (other than you) that I have ever met. We'll have to go out for lunch together very soon so that Amber Plehn can meet the one who has been at the front of her prayers. You are greatly loved by all of us and by our Savior. I praise Him daily for you and for your miraculous recovery. Much love,

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is Amber you are amazing!! I am in awe of your strong spirit and am so grateful that Heavenly Father has let us keep you with us. Keep up the hard work and Heavenly Father I know will continue to help lift you the rest of the way to recovery. I love you and am ESTATIC you are doing do well.
    love Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy, what an amazing miracle we've all witnessed! Continue on Amber, we're all so very behind you in your recovery process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber, I was so glad to see you today. I came home and told your Mom guess where I have been, to see your Girl! You are something sweetie, AMAZING,says Braxton. And I gave those babies of yours, a kiss for you. That Kayla is talking, she will be holding some great conversation with you soon. It was so good to see you. We love you and continue to pray for you and your family.
    Take care see you soon. Nita
    (Another one of your many fans!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!!! You have shown incredible strength of body and spirit. I can't wait to come visit you. Love you girl!!!

    Here's one of my favorite recent quotes from Ella that makes me smile every time I think about it:

    Me: Ella, how did you get the candle down from up on the wall?

    Ella: I'm just amazing.

    Love,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Stephanie Martin -
    Amber I am so proud of you. I think about you daily. I found out about all of this 4 days into it all and started crying. I check the blog every day to see what is going on. I am thrilled with all the progess you have made. It makes me happy. I wanted Dan to write something on the blog (I have never done this before) but he has not remembered until today. When I checked the blog the today I just had to do it. It was the best news ever! JP will never know what a great home teacher he was. He always brought the Spirit to our home each time he came. We appreciated you coming too when his companion could not come. You are such a sweet lady. I have been praying and fasting for you and I am not usually one to be able to fast. I felt I really needed to for this cause. It has strengthened me and hopefully helped you also. I am so happy you are doing well. I do know miracles happen - I have seen it with my family. We were in a vehicle roll-over when I was 7 yrs. old and from that experience with all that went on with my one brother - it was definitely a miracle. You are such a strong woman with a will to get better and be there for JP and your sweet little kids. We are so proud of you. We love you lots.
    Love, Dan, Steph, and P.J. Martin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amber - you truly are so inspiring!
    I love reading about your daily progress and your never-ending determination, thank you for your wonderful example!
    Your kids are so lucky to have such an incredible Mommy!
    May the Lord continue to bless you and give you the strength you need to continue on your road to a full recovery.
    With love,
    Ashley (Lewis) Hanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great news Amber! My daughter and I have been praying for you daily. I check the blog every day wondering how your doing. When I'm walking around campus I wonder how you are doing. I know each day your body will become stronger and stronger. I will keep praying for you!

    Julie and Savannah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amber, We are so excited and proud of you. The strength you have shown is amazing. We want you to know of our love, support and prayers as you continue the recovery process. You truly are blessing the lives of all of us that know you.

    Love,
    The Kelley Family

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is wonderful!!! Keep it up. Love YOU. Inga

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! Great news! We will continue to pray for Amber. I know, without a doubt, that our loving Heavenly Father hears and answers our prayers. This is just another exmaple of that. Looking forward to more great news.

    Jamie (Sutherland) Williams & Family

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Amber! You've graduated to rehab--maybe the most important graduation of your life. We're so very proud of you. With your hard work, you'll be back with your family soon, stronger than ever in every way. We love you and you're in our prayers every day! Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amber you go girl!! I am SO excited to see you soon! Keep up the good work and make sure you have a big hug ready for me when I come! :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amber you go girl! Keep up all the hard work! I am so glad that I was able to see you last week... I am sure you will be getting lots of visitors now :). I will be coming to see you again soon! Logan was asking about you last night... he has been so concerned about you this entire time! He asked me if I miss running with you... and YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT WOMAN! Its been fun running with Tami and I am so grateful that she is so willing to sacrifice her sleep to come with me so early! I can't wait for you to be able to come with our group again... you will get there before you know it. All of the progress you have made and continue to make is truley wonderful. You are so determined to succeed and you will.

    I love you Amber! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amber! I'm so thrilled for you. And amazed and grateful to be able to follow along on the blog, reading about your strength and courage and faith has strengthened me. As does keeping you in my prayers and thoughts. I'm being added to and blessed more.

    I love you for the example you set, the friend you are and for the strength you've given me by having me pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YESSSS! I am so excited to read this. I have been praying and praying for you Amber. You are amazing, I think I have said that in almost every post I have written to you but it is the TRUTH! I would love to come visit you. My mom is out of town until Sunday and she would kill me if I went without her so hopefully we can come see you on Monday. I will call and schedule a time with JP.
    Love Ya- Hillary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hallelulia Amber Dear........Hallelullia..........

    What more can one say... It is a blessing from the lord. Have miracles ceased???? I say nay!!! You are just our Miracle. Loved seeing my sweet Amber the other day. You are so sweet... So loving... so kind....
    the way you kept asking how all your cousins were. I knew you hadn't missed a beat.Sooooo... Come on Amber you can do it...If you put your mind to it....Heee hee
    that's an old cheer from high school, cuz I'm just so excited!!! I love you Honey Girl...

    Have a BLESSED day. and remember it's all about LOVE.......

    Love, Huggs, and Kisses!!!!xoxoxoxoxo
    Auntie Dana and Uncle Scott
    He asks about you each time he calls home from
    his fun boy trip with andrew and skyler. He sends his love. now we must have some fun and Look up I Cor 13:4-7 it's the love verse that we all love so much. It's all about you Amber Dear..... and with that I bid you adue...xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amber Dear,

    You are an amazing woman. I was jumping up and down when I read that you were out of ICU. I hurried and called my mom, she's asked about you everyday. My heart is so full of happiness for you and your family. I can't wait to see you. I know you will be getting lots of visitors so I might wait until you get home. I love you lots and I believe that miracles do happen. You are living proof.

    Your friend, Kim Mayhugh

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amber I don't even know you but I have been following the blog since it was posted. I am friends with Jen Barnes. I think about you every day and pray for you every day. Reading this blog and following your progress has been truly inspiring to me. My testimony has grown. I am so happy to hear how well you are doing. Keep it up! Beverly Bargeron

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amber you are a rockstar! I've been sick the last few days with strep throat... had to go to the doctor and do the motherly thing and take care of my two year old as I smiled through the pain. The whole time I was thinking of you and how strong you have been through this whole thing. I was imediately humbled and greatful for my roll as a mother. It's amazing how motherhood has us doing so much more than we even thought we could be capable of doing. Of course my having a sore throat is NOTHING compaired to what you are going through... I just thought it's amazing how alike all of us women are. Strong in our own individual ways for our children, our husbands, and our families. Remember how special you are, and how much you are needed. I continue to think about you... and pray for you and hope good things for you. Thanks for your story... knowing of your strengh makes me stronger. You can do this!
    Love from St George,
    Amanda Cheek

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are amazing and belong to an amazing family! Can't wait to see you! Lots of love.

    Christiane

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amber, you are an amazing person. You have so much determination and strength. Thank you for your example, not only to me, but to so many. You are beautiful inside and out! Keep smiling! I will be seein ya soon! Love ya, Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  24. Every day I just shake my head and say, "What a miracle". Don't have words to express the amazement in it all. You give others hope.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amber-

    Our Father in Heaven has truly heard and answered the prayers of his children throughout the world.

    We ran a 6k yesterday and we have increased our personal time by a minute and a half. We are still in training for the 1/2 marathon at the end of October. We are really looking forward to it!

    Once you are home, settled, and ready to receive visitors again, we would love to come by and see you.

    With so much love,

    Mathew, Elizabeth, and Evalina Bass

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just talked to JP on the phone and was thrilled to hear about your amazing progress from your sweet husband. A few of us are planning on coming to visit you this week. We can't wait! Truly, we love you and thank our Heavenly Father that you will be home with your family soon.

    Love, Melody

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amber,
    Jenn (Horoba) Salmon here. Jenny called and told me about what had happend when this first happened. I read this blog almost every night, it has almost become an addiction. I can't go to bed until I check to see how Amber did today. All I can say as I read each entry is AMAZING. You are amazing. You have already been through a lot and now this new trial for you, and your family. I look at how you have touched peoples lives, and strengthend testimonies, mine included, and can't help but thing that Heavenly Father has a special place for you in the next life. I will continue to pray for you and your family. I hope that things continue to go as well as they can and that you can return home soon!!!

    ReplyDelete